The noninvasive estimation of L FP with Doppler echocardiography is necessarily multiparametric, it requires in-depth knowledge of LA and LV pathophysiology, an adequate learning curve and continuous updating from clinical research results. The use of single equations aimed at calculating an absolute mean LA pressure value is hampered by poor reproducibility in unselected patient populations. It is preferable to use categorical or semi-quantitative flow-charts or algorithms, such as those suggested by the current Guidelines. Noninvasive estimation of LV FP is particularly accurate in the follow-up of the individual patient.
1. Nagueh SF, Appleton CP, Gillebert TC, et al. Recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2009; 22:107-33.
2. Bortone AS, Hess OM, Chiddo A, et al. Functional and structural abnormalities in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 1989; 14:613-23.
3. Dickstein K, Cohen-Solal A, Filippaots G, et al. ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2008. Eur Heart J 2008;29:2388-2442.
4. Cavalcante JL, Marek J, Sheppard R, et al. Diastolic function improvement is associated with favorable outcomes in patients with acute non-ischaemic cardiomyopathy: insights from the multicentre IMAC-2 trial. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 2016; 17:1027-35.
5. Channer KS, Culling W, Wilde P, Jones JV. Estimation of left ventricular end-diastolic pressure by pulsed Doppler ultrasound. Lancet 1986; 1:1005-7.
6. Stork TV, Muller RM, Piske GJ, Ewert CO, Hochrein H. Noninvasive measurement of left ventricular filling pressures by means of transmitral pulsed Doppler ultrasound. Am J Cardiol 1989; 64:655-60.
7. Werner GS, Sold G, Teichmann D, Andreas S, Kreuzer H, Wiegand V. Impaired relationship between Doppler echocardiographic parameters of diastolic function and left ventricular filling pressure during acute ischemia. Am Heart J 1990; 120:63-72.
8. Stoddard MF, Pearson AC, Kern MJ, Ratcliff J, Mrosek DG, Labovitz AJ. Left ventricular diastolic function: comparison of pulsed Doppler echocardiographic and hemodynamic indexes in subjects with and without coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 1989; 13:327-36.
9. Klein AL, Hatle LK, Burstow DJ, et al. Doppler characterization of left ventricular diastolic function in cardiac amyloidosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 1989; 13:1017-26.
10. Mantero A, Gentile F, Gualtierotti C, et al. Left ventricular diastolic parameters in 288 normal subjects from 20 to 80 years old. Eur Heart J 1995; 16:94-105.
11. Nagueh SF, Smiseth OA, Appleton CP, et al. Recommendations for the Evaluation of Left Ventricular Diastolic Function by Echocardiography: An Update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 2016;17:1321.
12. Gaasch WH, Levine HJ, Quinones MA, Alexander JK. Left ventricular compliance: mechanisms and clinical implications. Am J Cardiol 1976; 38:645-53.
13. Solomon SB, Barbier P, Glantz SA. Changes in porcine transmitral flow velocity pattern and its diastolic determinants during partial coronary occlusion. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999; 33:854-66.
14. Barbier P, Solomon S, Schiller NB, Glantz SA. Determinants of forward pulmonary vein flow: an open pericardium pig model. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 35:1947-59.
15. Kuecherer HF, Muhiudeen IA, Kusumoto FM, et al. Estimation of mean left atrial pressure from transesophageal pulsed Doppler echocardiography of pulmonary venous flow. Circulation 1990; 82:1127-39.
16. Nagueh SF, Sun H, Kopelen HA, Middleton KJ, Khoury DS. Hemodynamic determinants of the mitral annulus diastolic velocities by tissue Doppler. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001; 37:278-85.
17. Rossvoll O, Hatle LK. Pulmonary venous flow velocities recorded by transthoracic Doppler ultrasound: relation to left ventricular diastolic pressures. J Am Coll Cardiol 1993; 21:1687-96.
18. Ommen SR, Nishimura RA, Appleton CP, et al. Clinical utility of Doppler echocardiography and tissue Doppler imaging in the estimation of left ventricular filling pressures: A comparative simultaneous Doppler-catheterization study. Circulation 2000; 102:1788-94.
19. Pepi M, Tamborini G, Galli C, et al. A new formula for echo-Doppler estimation of right ventricular systolic pressure. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 1994:7:20-6.
20. Barbier P, Cucco C, Gugliemo M, et al. Estimation of increased pulmonary wedge pressure based on noninvasively measured pulmonary diastolic pressure in cardiac patients independent of left ventricular ejection fraction. Echocardiography 2020;37:215-222.
21. Tsang TS, Barnes ME, Gersh BJ, Bailey KR, Seward JB. Left atrial volume as a morphophysiologic expression of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction and relation to cardiovascular risk burden. Am J Cardiol 2002; 90:1284-9.
22. Drazner MH, Hamilton MA, Fonarow G, Creaser J, Flavell C, Stevenson LW. Relationship between right and left-sided filling pressures in 1000 patients with advanced heart failure. J Heart Lung Transplant 1999; 18:1126-32.